Health Insurance and Life Changing Events

Can I enroll in Health Insurance throughout the year (or after Open Enrollment)?

What is a Life Change Event?

  • Loss of employer-covered insurance, Medicaid or CHP+
  • Birth of a baby, adoption of a child or placement of a child for foster care
  • Change in marital status
  • Turning 26 and aging off your parent’s plan
  • Move to a new permanent address in your state
  • Change of tribal status
  • Become a U.S. citizen
  • Leaving incarceration
  • Change of dependency status of someone on your plan
  • Death of a covered member of your household
  • Starting/ending AmeriCorps service
  • Incorrectly or inappropriately enrolled in a health plan for some reason that is not due to an error or omission on the part of Connect for Health Colorado
  • Violation of the contract you had with your health insurance carrier
  • Loss of an exemption to purchase health insurance coverage
  • Change in affordability of employer-sponsored insurance

Yes, I’ve had a Qualifying Life Change Event, now what?

  • Call FIRC for an appointment or sign up online and we can help you enroll in a Marketplace plan or Medicaid
  • Most qualified Life Change Events allow you up to 60 days to report and enroll in a new plan. FIRC recommends enrolling before your current plan ends so you don’t face a gap in coverage.
  • If you’re losing your insurance or making a permanent move to the state, you have up to 60 days before or after losing coverage to enroll in a new plan.
  • If you’re a Native American, you can change you change or enroll at anytime during the year

What if my income changes and I have a Marketplace Tax Credit or Medicaid?

What if I get a raise or a new job?
  • Call FIRC for assistance in reporting a change in income or if you have a Medicaid or CHP+ account call Summit County Health & Human Services 970-668-9717 or visit
  • With a significant enough income change, you may be eligible to choose a different plan
  • With a significant drop in income, you may be eligible for Medicaid or your children may qualify for CHP+

I didn’t get insurance during open enrollment and I don’t qualify for a life change, what are my options?

Summit Community Care Clinic

For emergencies use the High County Healthcare Urgent Care Clinic whenever possible