Health Insurance and Life Changing Events
Can I enroll in Health Insurance throughout the year (or after Open Enrollment)?
What is a Life Change Event?
- Loss of employer-covered insurance, Medicaid or CHP+
- Birth of a baby, adoption of a child or placement of a child for foster care
- Change in marital status
- Turning 26 and aging off your parent’s plan
- Move to a new permanent address in your state
- Change of tribal status
- Become a U.S. citizen
- Leaving incarceration
- Change of dependency status of someone on your plan
- Death of a covered member of your household
- Starting/ending AmeriCorps service
- Incorrectly or inappropriately enrolled in a health plan for some reason that is not due to an error or omission on the part of Connect for Health Colorado
- Violation of the contract you had with your health insurance carrier
- Loss of an exemption to purchase health insurance coverage
- Change in affordability of employer-sponsored insurance
Yes, I’ve had a Qualifying Life Change Event, now what?
- Call FIRC for an appointment or sign up online and we can help you enroll in a Marketplace plan or Medicaid
- Most qualified Life Change Events allow you up to 60 days to report and enroll in a new plan. FIRC recommends enrolling before your current plan ends so you don’t face a gap in coverage.
- If you’re losing your insurance or making a permanent move to the state, you have up to 60 days before or after losing coverage to enroll in a new plan.
- If you’re a Native American, you can change you change or enroll at anytime during the year
What if my income changes and I have a Marketplace Tax Credit or Medicaid?
What if I get a raise or a new job?
- Call FIRC for assistance in reporting a change in income or if you have a Medicaid or CHP+ account call Summit County Health & Human Services 970-668-9717 or visit colorado.gov/peak
- With a significant enough income change, you may be eligible to choose a different plan
- With a significant drop in income, you may be eligible for Medicaid or your children may qualify for CHP+
I didn’t get insurance during open enrollment and I don’t qualify for a life change, what are my options?
For emergencies use the High County Healthcare Urgent Care Clinic whenever possible