In the classroom, teachers are focusing on strengthening reading skills with letters and sounds, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension. You can help your child by working with them at home in the same ways. Reading with your child will have a lifelong impact and affect their overall school performance.
How do I know if my child is struggling with reading?
- Does your child struggle reading aloud?
- Are they reading at their grade level? – Ask your child’s teacher.
- Do they struggle to understand words or answer questions about what they have read?
- Do they get upset when you ask them to read?
- If you think your child is struggling with reading, early intervention is key. Speak with your child’s teacher and continue to work with them at home.